Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Learning to Eat

Benji has officially started eating solids and it has been both exciting and slightly heart-breaking at the same time. On one hand, I am thrilled that he is ready to enter the world of "big boy" foods and he seems to be quite the natural little eater....go figure, right? On the other hand, my baby boy is growing up so quickly and it is a little sad to see that happen so fast.

Our pediatrician told us we could start feeding him solids at 4 months, but that was just too young in my opinion. He wasn't really exhibiting the signs of wanting to eat food, and at four months old, we were only finally getting his digestive system in a regular and normal routine. So Bizzy and I waited until Benji got his 6 month shots and checkup to attempt feeding him. I have been breast-feeding him exclusively since he was born, so I was really terrified that once he tasted solids, he wouldn't want breast-milk anymore. But once he tried peas, that fear was alleviated. He was really excited to get the spoon in his mouth, but once the peas hit his tongue, he grimaced and expelled it quickly.

 Getting ready for his first meal
 The first bite...
 Bit of a messy eater

"What is in my mouth?!? Get it out!"

Ben's first attempt at eating wasn't an overwhelming success but as we continued on with other foods, he has become more and more of a natural eater. Oatmeal made with breast-milk is his favorite thing so far. He will scream when I finish his little bowl until I make some more for him. We have tried carrots and he tolerated them, but they have given him some very interesting/horrifying poops, so we might be taking it easy with the carrots from now on. I think the next thing on the menu is squash. We want Benjamin to eat his vegetables so we are holding off on fruits for the time being because if he is anything like his momma, he is going to have a massive sweet tooth and vegetables will no longer seem appetizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment